Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

From Ken

I've hesitated to write before, but feel like I should take a few minutes and give everyone an update. My most beautiful wife is really hurting! This is a lot worse than we expected. She hurts down deep in her bones. She can't eat or sleep. It's like the worst flu you've ever had; magnified by ten! Her spirits are very low and the prospect of going another three rounds is overwhelming. I wish there was something I (or anybody else) could do. We've experienced some difficult things before, but nothing like this. Cancer strips you of everything and leaves just the raw nerve endings exposed. What a horrible thing to have! As Lu and I have talked we've come to understand more of what others have gone through. We had great empathy for others before this, but we didn't understand. It's like having grandchildren; you think you know how much you'll love them, but you really don't until you have them. You just can't know. (Grandchildren are not like cancer!) We just didn't know what cancer was really like before this. We thought we did, but you can't really know until it hits your family. I can't even imagine what Lu is going through. I'm beginning to understand that not all the things we go through in life are to teach us some lesson or strengthen some weakness we may have. I think sometimes we just have to endure! Our biggest current prayer is that Lu will be able to endure the treatments and keep going. The bright spot in all of this continues to be the love we feel from so many people. Your expressions of love, the wonderful food, the phone calls and visits and your constant and continued prayers are sustaining us. I didn't fully understand how important it is to know that the Savior knows and loves Luann and I personally and intimately. There are so many moments during each day when the feelings of dread and overwhelming hopelessness seem to envelope us. Those are the times when we feel the loving arms or the Savior encircle us and hold us close. When we are ready to give up in despair we are reminded of that love and somehow we have the strength to carry on. I'm sure we will need those sweet hugs and gentle reminders more and more as we continue on our journey. I love my wife and am so blessed to have her as my best friend. Her spirit sustains me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Daddy, thank you so much for posting this. It hurts me to see you both like this but I am strengthened by the love you have for each other and for the Savior. I love you both so much and pray that the Lord will continue to bless you with strength and miracles. SDLY!!!

Michelle said...

My heart aches for your family. Cancer is so awful. We will remember your family in our prayers.

Michelle said...

My heart aches for your family. Cancer is so awful. We will remember your family in our prayers.

Michelle said...

Sorry, don't know why that posted twice.

Herlehy Family said...

Cancer is horrible! We are praying for Luann and your family!

Paula Taft Keele Christensen said...

Dear Ken and Luann,

Ken, I was really touched by your latest blog--so sad and sorry for you both. I know that it was easier for me to go through cancer than it was for Scott to watch me, and to not be able to do anything. I got all the attention, flowers, meals, phone calls, all of the lovin', and Scott just carried on, carrying the financial load, watching me struggle, going bald, feeling awful and overcoming the cancer. I felt so blessed to be loved by him, as I am sure Lu feels your love. But, Ken, take care of yourself, you are her rock and she depends so much on you. The Lord's will is great and he loves you both so much. We are praying for you, knowing somewhat the path you are both on, and know that the Lord is walking before you on that path. His angels are surrounding you, and lifting you up, helping you to endure. Just hold on, peace will come--Love,Paula

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...