Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Last Day of Chemo!!

Today was Mom's last day of chemotherapy! She arrived at the Huntsman Cancer Institute this morning at 8:00 am and finished about 3:00 pm. Dad was able to be with Mom throughout the day. They are so good to each other. On your last day of chemotherapy the nursing staff has a little celebration for you and they come and sing to you. Dad asked them to do add one of our family traditions into the celebration. In the Kennington family when we have a big event we have a parade! :) The nursing staff also gave her a certificate of completion and a blanket to take home. Huntsman has such an AMAZING staff! I am near tears each time I meet one of them, they are each so skilled and they have that extra touch of love and warmth.

View of the Salt Lake Valley from 6B
Dad arranged it so that Mark and I would be there to surprise Mom for the farewell singing and parade. She was very emotional, as was I. I had never been in the infusion room before and there is a very somber feeling in that part of Huntsman. There are pods of brave people all around you. It's such an overwhelming experience to see so many people battling cancer at the same time. I also felt a kinship to their loved ones. Many people smiled at me and watched us, perhaps thinking of the day when they would be done with their treatments.


A dear friend of Mom and Dad's, Melissa Merrill, sent Mom some flowers and we brought her some as well. She was very sweet and just so grateful to all of the staff at Hunstman. I think that sometimes she doubted whether or not she would be able to keep moving forward but she said she wanted to do her best to follow her doctor's orders and she did it!! So proud of my Mom!! Below is a video of the nursing staff and volunteer's singing to her and her parade exit :)


She'll do her booster shot tomorrow and then she'll be back up to Huntsman on September 17th to discuss her Radiation treatments. I'm so happy she get's a bit of a reprieve and I hope the effects of this chemo are minimal so she can start feeling better very soon.

Thank you all for your love and concern. We all feel your prayers!

3 comments:

Herlehy Family said...

Hip, hip hooray! That is such great news!!! We will be praying for you Aunt Luann...keep fighting!

Marloe David said...

Loni, Thank you for sharing. Your parents are truly great people and are very special to me and my parents. You, Mark, j, and jayson are special to us also. Love You All Have a Marvelous Week LuAnn

Jacci Halliday said...

Congratulations LuAnn! So proud and grateful and teary eyed as I read this. You are a remarkable woman. You look gorgeous and so happy to be done with chemo. We are thankful for you and praying for you always! Love, the Strassers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...