Wow, I can't believe it as been so long since I have sat down and wrote on this blog. Shame on me! So much has happened. I will start with today and work backwards.
Ken took the day off work and accompanied me to my appointment at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. My first appointment was at 10:00 this morning with a nutritionist. I have lost 50 pounds in the last year. I started taking Votrient last July and one of the side affects is diarrhea. That is why I have lost weight. She gave me some great ideas that I will start doing. My taste buds aren't quite right. She suggested pairing sweet and salty together, such as peanut butter and jam sandwiches. That has been my go to lately so I was happy about that. Another idea was sweet and sour. Also adding whey powder to drinks such as smoothies. Drinking sports drinks to add vitamins etc. that I am losing. She suggested a good multi vitamin and calcium supplement.
At 11:00 I had labs. My port was accessed and flushed and access was left for the contrast for my CT scan. The CT was at 12:00. Everything went smooth with that. The hospital was so cold today so we went outside on the east side and the 4th floor and waited for my next appointment.
We saw Melissa with Dr. Wright's office at 1:30. First our Social Worker, Amy, came in to chat with us. I was worried when I first saw her because I thought we were going to get bad news. We haven't talked with Amy for quite a while. It was very nice to talk with her and tell her how wonderful our lives are right now. She saw us at our very worst time. I'm glad she got to see us when things are so much better.
We got great news from Melissa. She said that there were no new spots and the spot in my spleen had actually gotten a little smaller. Wow, we didn't expect that to have happened! We will stay on the same course of action which is take 3 of the chemo pills each evening. If the diarrhea gets worse or the tiredness gets worse to call them and discuss others options. To say the least we were very relieved!
Ken and I have been very anxious lately with this scan coming up. Things have been going well the last few scans and we know that sometime things won't be so rosy. We had a great discussion with most of our family last night. Many spoke of their feelings and thoughts and it was really great. I felt much lighter after that.
I feel very blessed and grateful for my many blessings. This cancer journey has taught me, and still is teaching me, many wonderful things.
No comments:
Post a Comment