Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2016

News from Ken

HI, this is Ken. I have been very hesitant to say anything but my family feels like I should let people know. There isn’t a good was to say this so I guess I’ll be blunt. I have cancer; Prostate cancer to be exact. I guess if you’re a man and you’ve got to choose a cancer, this is the cancer of choice.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard (or said), “Oh, you’ve got nothing to worry about. Something else will kill you before prostate cancer ever will.” If I was 76 – 80 years old that could be true. But even then, my doctor told me those men would have died from cancer. They just had other problems that got them first. He said that if you don’t take care of any type of cancer it will kill you, (unless you die from an unrelated problem). I never thought I’d hear this, but, for this type of cancer I’m too young. I should be 15 – 20 years older before it starts.

For me, it started right around my birthday in October. My lower back started hurting again. At times it felt like someone had hit me across the small of my back with a baseball bat. That went on for a couple of days, and then I noticed I was passing lots of blood in my urine. I finally went to the doctor (PA) who, by my description of what hurt and what was happening, thought I was probably passing a kidney stone. That eased my mind for a couple of days, but nothing happened except I kept passing more and more blood. Finally I went back to the doctor. He sent me for an CT scan to try and pinpoint where all the action was. I went back again the next day only to find out the test hadn’t shown any kidney stones. In addition, it wasn’t able to pinpoint what was causing all of the bleeding. I went back to the doctor and he did an in-depth exam in his office going in from the front. (Without sedation) The tube had a camera so the doctor could see what was going on. He told me (I was awake and paying close attention to everything he did and said) he expected to see where a stone or two was blocked, but all he could see was blood. He had to keep draining it every few seconds so he could see anything. (There was a TV by my table so I could turn my head and watch what he was doing. That was an interesting TV show. L)

After checking everywhere he finally decided there weren’t any kidney stones. Nothing else looked bad or suspicious, but by now I was passing so much blood I was running down a little. We were all baffled, but as we were driving home Lu and I started talking about our medications and any changes we had made recently. We had changed to a prescription-by-mail service and I had just gotten a new bunch of pills. I was still taking the same medication, but when I got to checking closer I discovered my warfarin pill was for 10 mgs and not 5 like it had been before.  (They both looked exactly the same, so I figured I must have been taking twice as much as I should have been taking.) We went back to the doctor and had an INR blood test done. It checks the thickness of your blood. Normally your blood should be around a 1. While I was on the warfarin they tried to keep it between 2 and 3. (This was to prevent blood clots.) When they checked it this time it was 14.8! Needless to say, the doctor was concerned. He called my regular Doctor, Dr. King Udall (who has been my doctor for almost 30 years, and who I really like.) I didn’t appreciate the seriousness of it until he called me at home and spoke very gently but firmly to me. He said, “Ken, I want you to stop whatever you’re doing and go right to the emergency room. Don’t bump or run into anything, and don’t wait. Do it right now!”

I walked into the kitchen and told Luann (who was having a man fix her kitchen lights.) She became quite concerned and we left immediately for the hospital. (We are lucky enough to trust our electrician and left him to fix the lights.)

We’ve been to lots of emergency rooms in the past few years between Luann’s problems and her dads. Unless you go in an ambulance it seems like you have to wait forever.  This time it was different. As soon as we told them I was there because my INR was 14.8 they immediately took us back to a room and had me sit on the bed and not touch or bump anything. Then a nurse came in and gave me a big shot of vitamin K, and we waited around for a couple of hours. By that time the vitamin K had done its job and my blood was thick enough to clot if I broke a vessel or something.

That was the start of it all. During my exam in his office my urologist checked my prostate and discovered it was enlarged. (They call it BPH) It didn’t have any strange bumps or look discolored or anything, just big. Anyway, that led to a roto-rooter job in November. I went in for outpatient surgery on the 14th, but there were a few problems and I ended up staying overnight and coming home the 15th with a follow-up scheduled for 3 weeks. On the following Tuesday (one week later) my urologist called me at home and told me they had biopsied the tissue they removed from my prostate and it had come back showing cancer.

Looking back on it now I realize I was in a daze. It didn’t seem real. We set up another appointment for a little sooner, and I just went about what I normally do in the evening. It didn’t’ sink in until I had some time to sit quietly and think about it.

So, here we are. Luann has leiomyosarcoma and I have prostate cancer. What a pair we are. Luann teases me and says I was getting jealous of all the attention she was getting. Believe me, I would much rather everyone focus on Luann.

For right now we wait until the first part of March and do another biopsy. We have a baseline from all the tests and results we did in November. The new ones taken in March will give us a clearer picture of what we’re facing.

My emotions are all over the place. Some days are diamonds, some days are stones. Sometimes the hard days won’t leave me alone. Sometimes a cold wind puts a chill in my bones. Some days are diamonds, some days are stones. (Thanks John Denver)

If I stay busy I do much better than when I have some time to think. I guess I’ll stay busy.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...